If you get ever get this error message and you are rolling out your own list definition, chances are you messed something up in the shema.xml file.
The first place to look is the event logs. In my case today this was caused due to an incorrectly mapped column name in the field element. The log files gave the clue:
Unexpected query execution failure, error code 8143. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below. "Parameter '@sql_variant1' was supplied multiple times." Query text (if available): "SET NOCOUNT ON; DECLARE @ItemId int,@@iRet int,@ExtraItemSize int,@DN nvarchar(256),@LN nvarchar(128),@@S uniqueidentifier,@@DocUIVersion int,@@Level tinyint;SET @@S='846FD34D-3722-433D-845B-564ACB4037EE';SET @@Level=1;SET @@DocUIVersion = 512;BEGIN TRAN;SET @ItemId=NULL;SET @DN=N'counterparty/Lists/CounterParties';SET @LN=NULL;SELECT @ExtraItemSize = 0 EXEC @@iRet = proc_AddListItem @SiteId = '846FD34D-3722-433D-845B-564ACB4037EE',@WebId='EEFB7523-73C9-4BDF-B2FC-9AA940A0B059',@ListID = 'B6BA34B0-8CBE-4F1F-819C-0460CF82FA35',@RowOrdinal = 0,@ItemDocType = 0,@ItemId = @ItemId OUTPUT,@ItemDir...
I had used sql_variant1 twice for the ColName attribute, replacing the duplicate with sql_variant2 did the trick 🙂
Thanks to you a lot. You made my problem gone with the wind.
I faced the same issue and found that there are two columns with nvarchar10 as colname.
Indeed I copied the first column to create the second one when creating the list definition. When I googled I saw only your blog replying for my problem.
My problem was like Vasudev, and it solved by this blog
you save alot of time for me, and I was crazy from this issue
Wow thanks dude, same problem here, and same solution applied.
Thanks to google I found your post quickly !