Monthly Archives: December 2009

Visual Studio 2008 SP1 Crashes when exiting the application, in module ModName:msenv.dll

After recently increasing my monitor setup to 3 flat screens! I decided to embark on the ultimate 2-window Visual Studio layout, docking most of my non-text editor windows on monitor 2. After lots of precision placements of windows, I thought I had better close Visual Studio so that it saves my new layout. Well fat chance!

Visual Studio threw up the depressing “Microsoft Visual Studio has encountered a Problem and needs to close.”

Microsoft Visual Studio has encountered a problem and needs to close

 

For a laugh I decided to fire off the error report via the “Send Error Report” button. The subsequent confirmation button had a link on it which I almost missed.

Visual Studio 2008 Send Error Report

 

Clicking on this link took you to a rather generic looking Windows Error Reporting page:

Windows Error Reporting Page

However out of curiosity I followed the link to the KB article, expecting it to be next to useless in solving my issue. However imagine my surprise when the article was 100% relative!

KB 960075 Fixes issues with Visual Studio 2008 SP1 IDE crashes when changing the window layout. Hooray for Windows Error reporting, it actually works {on incredibly rare occasions}.

 

UPDATE: I ended up reading the comments on http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/KB960075 before installing the hotfix and “Window->Reset Window Layout” fixed the crashes for me. In the end I didn’t bother to install the hot fix.

 

2nd UPDATE: Okay so I *DID* have to install it in the end, and it worked fine.

Tagged , ,

Shared Services User profile synchronization with WSS user profiles stored in the User Information list

Ever wished that the WSS user profile would update it’s values immediately after you’ve just ran a new SSP profile import. Well I just came across a very cool little tool that does just that. The “User Profile Sync” tool hosted on codeplex.

It’s worth noting that SharePoint has timer jobs that run and perform this synchronization process for you. Hover the above mentioned tool allows you to force this process to occur immediately.

Tagged , ,

Target Audience property not displaying / missing for web parts

I came across this problem on a web application that had been working fine, then all of a sudden the “Target Audiences” property disappeared from the web part tool pane.

 

To solve this problem I re-associated the web application with the Shared Service Provider (SSP) and bounced IIS.

1. Web applications are associated with SSP’s in central administration. Select Shared Services Administration

sharepoint central administration

 

2.  Select Change Associations

sharepoint central administration manage farm shared services

 

3. Select the web application you are having problems with, and select OK to complete the process.

sharepoint central administration change association between web applications and ssps

4. Perform a  complete IISReset.

Then the property miraculously reappeared – hooray!

Pages - AllCounterParties - Mozilla Firefox (3) ITS BACK!!

 

During investigating this issue I found the class responsible for rendering this section of the tool was an internal class WebPartToolPartAdvanced. I you really get stuck and my method doesn’t cut it you could dig around in that class and see if you can find anything that helps.

Tagged , , , ,

Unknown SPRequest error occurred. More information: 0x80040e14 – Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040E14

If you get ever get this error message and you are rolling out your own list definition, chances are you messed something up in the shema.xml file.

The first place to look is the event logs. In my case today this was caused due to an incorrectly mapped column name in the field element. The log files gave the clue:

Unexpected query execution failure, error code 8143. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below. "Parameter '@sql_variant1' was supplied multiple times." Query text (if available): "SET NOCOUNT ON; DECLARE @ItemId int,@@iRet int,@ExtraItemSize int,@DN nvarchar(256),@LN nvarchar(128),@@S uniqueidentifier,@@DocUIVersion int,@@Level tinyint;SET @@S='846FD34D-3722-433D-845B-564ACB4037EE';SET @@Level=1;SET @@DocUIVersion = 512;BEGIN TRAN;SET @ItemId=NULL;SET @DN=N'counterparty/Lists/CounterParties';SET @LN=NULL;SELECT @ExtraItemSize = 0  EXEC @@iRet = proc_AddListItem @SiteId = '846FD34D-3722-433D-845B-564ACB4037EE',@WebId='EEFB7523-73C9-4BDF-B2FC-9AA940A0B059',@ListID = 'B6BA34B0-8CBE-4F1F-819C-0460CF82FA35',@RowOrdinal = 0,@ItemDocType = 0,@ItemId = @ItemId OUTPUT,@ItemDir...	 

I had used sql_variant1 twice for the ColName attribute, replacing the duplicate with sql_variant2 did the trick 🙂

Tagged ,